Today’s my birthday. 33 years old, just after our 33-day Pacific passage. I’m in paradise for my birthday, sailing to a tropical island to snorkel with sharks and gorging on mangoes (my favorite fruit) to celebrate. I feel blessed.
I have only one wish for my birthday from readers: check out Mamalode.com today to read my published story about why Rob and I choose to find friends under age 12. Other than that, the other items that top my birthday list are a bit more existential.
- Cuddling at night. It’s too hot to touch anyone.
- IPA, especially Blackfoot IPA. No alcohol onboard during our month-long passage.
- Dancing and headstands.
- Our sofa.
- Girlfriends. And boyfriends. And our family community.
Even though all I really need are mangoes, Rob, and a daily rainbow, here are the material things I miss most in the middle of the ocean:
- More cotton clothes. Polyester feels icky when it’s salty.
- Pictures of family and friends.
- Lightweight folding camp chair.
- A huge stash of dark chocolate.
- Strong tea and espresso.
While I’m at it, I’d like to give thanks for this list of my favorite things I brought with me:
- Yoga mat
- Face wipes (thanks, Mom!)
And for the things I left behind and won’t have to deal with in the upcoming year:
- To-do lists
- Socks and shoes